Shopping for your kids in the Netherlands might seem a bit daunting. Making sure that your children have the right clothes, games, food and toys is essential when they are settling into a new home. Where exactly do you go to buy these things in the Netherlands? On this page, we will cover the basics of where to shop for your kid’s essentials.
SHOPPING FOR BABIES IN NL
Baby Food and Formula
Baby food is called: ‘babyvoeding’ in Dutch. The word for baby ‘formula’ is: ‘opvolgmelk‘. This is a type of treated milk made for babies. These items can be purchased from:
- If your baby cannot be given standard formula, ask for what kind of alternative formulas are available at your local pharmacy
- They stock special types of formula for babies who have allergies
- These products are often soy-based
- For advice on what kind of formula to give your baby, contact the ‘Well Baby Clinic‘. Find out about this at your local ‘Consultatiebureau‘
If you are preparing for the arrival of a new family member, check out our articles on ‘Having a baby in the Netherlands‘ and ‘maternity leave’. You can find out more about ‘legal matters for parents in nl‘ on our site too.
Baby Care Products
Popular baby care products include items like: baby shampoos, soaps and ointments.
- The best place to shop for these products is at the drugstore
- Supermarkets are also likely to stock a smaller selection
- Brand name and own label diapers are available at both the drugstore and the supermarket
Shopping for Children
Maternity clothes are called ‘positiekleding’ or ‘zwangerschapskleding’ in the Netherlands.
- Many department stores carry maternity clothes
- There are also shops in the Netherlands that specialize in maternity wear
- They will stock ‘Zwangerschapszwempakken’ . This is the Dutch phrase for ‘pregnancy swim suits‘
- You can purchase very stylish ‘oversize clothes’ at an ‘Extra Size’ woman’s shop. These are called: ‘grote maten‘ in Dutch
- There will be XL sections in most clothing stores, which could help you as well
- Many second-hand clothing shops have a selection of maternity clothes too. These are called: ‘tweedehandswinkels‘
Buying Kids’ Clothes
Children’s clothing is not difficult to find in the Netherlands. Any main shopping street will have at least one store that carries a large variety of kid’s clothes. This goes for even the tiniest towns in Holland!
- Clothes for babies and children can be found in large department stores in the Netherlands
- There are some stores that specialize in babies’ and children’s clothing
- Children’s shoes can be bought at almost any shoe store in the Netherlands
Buying Childrens’ Furniture
You will be able to find shops carrying baby furniture all across the Netherlands. Both large chain stores and small boutiques will meet your needs. They will have selections of:
- Car seats
- High chairs
The Dutch phrase for baby furniture is: ‘Babyartikelen‘.
Shopping for Toys and Games
Dutch shops that hold children’s toys and games are named: ‘Speelgoedwinkels’.
- If you are after lots of options, then Speelgoedwinkels are the place to go!
- You will also find kid’s games and toys in some Dutch department stores and household chains
- The Netherlands is also home to some splendid speciality toy stores
- Speciality Dutch toy stores can be found all across the country. They do not belong to any chain, and they sell unique and more old-fashioned toys that are often made of wood
Second Hand Shops in NL
- Second-hand children’s shops often have a great selection of children’s game, toys and books as well
- They might also have a message board
- People can post larger items that they wish to sell on this board. You are likely to find things like: carriages, cribs and furniture
Our site has another page, offering further advice on shopping in the Netherlands!
Recently Posted on XPat.nl
Learning With Head, Heart and Hands
The Hague has been home to a Dutch Waldorf school for over 90 years. Since ...
Schooling for expat kids in NL
Are you a little bemused by the schooling system in the Netherlands? Are you wondering ...
International Schools in the Nether ...
There are many different kinds of international schools in the Netherlands. So, how do you ...