Some ailments cannot be cured by a visit to the hospital or the doctor’s. Moreover, some people grow exasperated when they have tried going down the conventional medical route, and experienced no relief from their symptoms. This is when ‘other’ forms of medical treatment and alternative therapies come into play. This page will give a brief description of what’s on offer to expats, and how they can access it in NL.


Many expats save their visits to the dentist for when they go back ‘home’. However, dental emergencies cannot be predicted! Therefore, it is a good idea to find yourself a dentist before that tooth ache sets in. There are several ways to do this. You can:

  • Consult the ‘gemeentegids (the municipality register). This is an excellent resource for locating a dentist as well as a GP
  • Ask your GP. If you have already signed up with a doctor, you can simply ask him or her to recommend you a dentist
  • Search online for: ‘Tandartsen’ (dentists) in your locality
  • Ask colleagues, friends or neighbors which dentist they use or recommend

Dental Emergencies in NL

If you have an emergency after hours, you can simply call your dentist, as you would your GP. (Evenings, nights and weekends constitute after hours.) You will hear a recording telling you which dentist in your neighborhood is on duty.


Dental care is not covered by ‘basic insurance’ packages in the Netherlands. Children’s dental care, however, is covered until they reach 18 years of age. No premium is due for children’s health insurance.


Physical Therapy in NL

You can search for ‘Fysiotherapeuten’ (physical therapy) and all other forms of alternative therapy online. Other kinds of alternative therapy include:

Alternative Therapy in NL

Alternatively, you could ask your GP for a referral. Here are a few other things it is important to know about alternative therapy:

  • Alternative medical care will not be covered by your basic insurance policy
  • You have to take out additional insurance to cover alternative medical care
  • You should check whether you are taking out a ‘natura’ or a ‘restitutie’ policy


The Netherlands has an excellent record when it comes to assisting individuals with their physical disabilities. If you have a disability yourself, and require specialized help, there are several sources you can contact for assistance. These include:

  • The city hall (gemeentehuis). They may be able to assist you with, for example, financing the adaptation of your home to meet your needs
  • Other organizations in the Netherlands, such as ‘Thuiszorg, can offer you support and relief as well
  • Your municipality. They can help cover non-medical expenses, such as assisted living, protected living and occupational activities
  • Your insurance company. They may be able to offer you coverage for your disability

Side Note

Dutch Insurance Policies

  • If you have a Natura policy, you will need to make use of an (alternative) medical care provider. Your insurance company will have reached an agreement with the provider, and will pay your bills directly.
  • If you have a restitutie policy, you are free to select your own medical care provider. You will, however, have to pay your own bills first and request restitution from your insurance company.


Make Sure you are Covered

Do you have an existing insurance policy? Or, are you participating in a collective (company or educational institute) policy? If you are, then make sure you ask your insurance company:

  • Whether they cover your personal health costs
  • Whether they have a contract with the medical care provider of your choice

Do not forget that your insurance company often requires you to hand in a referral notice from your GP, stating which type of therapy you require, before they are willing to cover the costs.


Here is a list of organisations to contact for various sexual health matters, for which you may require guidance:

  • For information on sexual health and birth control, contact the Rutgers organization. They have branches in several larger cities across the Netherlands and an international, English-language website
  • Contact SOAAIDS for information on AIDS and STDs
  • For more information on the public health program of the Netherlands, including the immunization program for children, visit the RIVM website, and click on English.


Don’t forget to ask for a referral notice!

Access to Mental Health Care in NL

In the Netherlands, mental health care is available to everyone, including:

  • Children
  • Young people
  • Adults
  • The elderly
  • Addicts
  • Forensic-psychiatric patients

Take a look at our article on ‘Mental Healthcare in NL‘, for more detailed information on this topic.

A Doctor’s Referral

If you are seeking mental health treatment, talk to your GP. They may be able to help you with minor mental health issues. They can also refer you for more specialist treatment, or to a private psychologist or psychiatrist, if necessary.

Help with Addiction in NL

If you, or a loved one, are struggling with addiction, there are several sources of help available to you. These include:

  • ‘Ambulant centers’ for alcohol and drugs. The Dutch refer to these as: ‘Consultatiebureau voor Alcohol en Drugs’. Jellinek is an excellent resource, which offers advice and treatment
  • Institutions for social work that focus on caring for people with drug problems
  • Clinics for treatment, and outpatient clinics with special departments for addicts
  • Lievegoed Antroposofische Zorg. This organization has an anthropological basis and provides care for mental health issues, physical disabilities and addictions
  • Your GP. You can always ask him or her for more information, or a referral


‘GGZ Nederland’

Another good resource is the ‘Dutch association of Mental Health and Addiction’: GGZ NEDERLAND. They have over 100 member organizations throughout the Netherlands, which offer an extensive variety of mental health services, from assisted independent living to clinical psychiatric and forensic institutional care.


When a death occurs in your family, it is best to call your GP to certify it. He or she can also walk you through the steps you will need to take. This is what you should expect:

  • Your doctor will advise you to call the embassy or consulate of the country for which the deceased holds a passport
  • The embassy will help take care of the formalities their country requires them to cover
  • The embassy will also assist you in notifying the deceased’s next of kin

Useful links



Recently Posted on

If you’re an expat living and looking for work in the Netherlands then there are some vital differences you should know about in regards to your job applications. In the Netherlands, as with most places in Europe, the norm is a CV rather than the resume which is commonly used in the United States amongst … Continue reading "The Difference Between a Resume and a CV"
It is that time of year again; the new and annually-updated version of The Holland Handbook is here and ready to be enjoyed! Not only that, but this is the 23rd edition! More than twenty years ago, a modest group of three people sat around a table to discuss the possibility of creating a handbook … Continue reading "The Holland Handbook 2023"
Rising mortgage interest rates can have a significant impact on homebuyers and homeowners. The average interest rate for a fixed-rate mortgage in the Netherlands is currently around 4% to 5%. As interest rates increase, the cost of borrowing money to purchase or refinance a home also increases. This can make it more difficult for potential … Continue reading "Mortgage Interest Rates in the Netherlands in 2023"
Now as an expat you have probably already noticed that the Dutch take their biking pretty seriously. They’re everywhere! Maybe best not to go into all the details of why the Dutch love their two-wheeler so much - but actually, most of the time, it is easier to get anywhere in the Netherlands by bike … Continue reading "How to Insure your E-bike"
Obviously, the decision to move to the Netherlands is not one to be taken lightly. A lot comes into play. Once you have decided to finally relocate, you could probably use some help preparing for your big move. A lot of companies have found a way to cater to the needs of expats coming to … Continue reading "Help me move to the Netherlands!"
Gardening has become a popular hobby in the Netherlands. It's not surprising, considering how green and lush it is outdoors! But what if you want to have plants in your home or office with little or no access to natural light? This guide will teach you everything you need to know about indoor gardening in … Continue reading "Your guide to Indoor Plants in The Netherlands"

What are the Benefits of Having Sim ...

When you have just moved to the Netherlands, you will have to take care of ...

Economical, Not Stingy

Most of the work I do consists of giving 1 or 2-day workshops and ... And to ‘ease’ the delegates into to the subject of culture, I start talking about ...

Getting Connected in the Netherland ...

There are several criteria that are important to consider when choosing a mobile phone service ...

The Media in the Netherlands

As an expat, you have a wide range of media outlets on offer to you ...

Dutch Gardens and Curtains

There are some specific and quintessential Dutch traditions, surrounding gardens and curtains in the Netherlands ...

Pets in the Netherlands

The Dutch truly love their furry friends, and have a unique way of treating them ...

Recycling & Waste Management in the ...

You might find that there are more rules and regulations surrounding recycling and waste management ...

Safety in the Netherlands

In general the Netherlands is a very safe country to live in. Drug-related crime ...

Household Help in the Netherlands

Getting some household help in the Netherlands can make your hectic life a bit more ...

Dutch Food

You will be spoilt for choice when it comes to food in the Netherlands. For ...