Taking a taxi in the Netherlands can be a practical solution to your commuting problems. Let’s say you want to go and visit your cousin who lives in a remote Dutch village. You do your research, and figure out how to get to the nearest town. But then, the public transport trail goes cold. Is your only option to undertake the 2 hour walk across across the fields? It is not: you can take a taxi! Read on to find out how.
REGULAR DUTCH TAXIS
How to a taxi in NL
Unfortunately, you cannot hail a taxi on the street in the Netherlands, like you can in many other parts of the world. However, you can:
- Phone a local taxi service and book yourself a cab
- Catch a taxi from a taxi-stand. You will find these at all major Dutch railway stations
- Ask the staff at a restaurant or a hotel to order a taxi for you
If you do not have access to any of these options, and find your self in a bit of a fix, just call: 0900 9292. This is the number for the Dutch travel planner site: 9292. They can put you in touch with your closest taxi company.
Taxi Prices in NL
- Regular Dutch taxis use meters and charge roughly the same rates
- When your taxi ride begins, the meter will already show a balance of several euros. This simply ensures that the driver gets a minimum fare
- For especially long distances, it is possible to negotiate a price in advance
- It is customary to give your taxi driver a tip. The Dutch usually just increase the amount on the meter up to a rounded figure
DUTCH SHARE TAXIS
There is a special type of taxi service in the Netherlands, known as ‘deeltaxi‘, or ‘Share taxi’. As you may have guessed, it enables you to share a taxi with other passengers for a reduced rate. This service is aimed at helping travelers to reach smaller and more remote areas of the Netherlands, from train stations. So, although share taxis are available at almost all train stations in the Netherlands, you may not find them in the biggest cities. There is a different share taxi service in each region of Holland. To find your nearest one, call: 0900 9292.
SCHIPHOL AIRPORT TAXI
Last but not least, there are numerous Schiphol taxi services, such as:
Avoid Long-term Parking
These taxis take you to and from all Dutch airports. By using them, you can save yourself the hassle of arranging long-term parking, dragging your luggage to a connecting bus or worrying about your car whilst you’re away!
The Schiphol Hotel Shuttle
There is also a Schiphol Hotel Shuttle service. This will take you to almost any hotel in Amsterdam, from Schiphol airport. You simply need to follow the signs to ‘Amsterdam shuttle desk’, which is located in Arrivals 4 (just across from Starbucks) and buy a ticket.
- Conexxion: Arrange your Airport Taxi
- If you are interested in using a business taxi service, you can call Schiphol business taxi on: 088 339 47 41, visit their website, or visit their service desk in the Arrivals Hall of Schiphol airport
- ‘Corporate taxis’ are also available. These are designed for ‘top managers and policy makers’. Their services are available 24 / 7