The Netherlands is easily accessible by air, since it is home to the third busiest airport in Europe: Schiphol airport. There are also several regional Dutch airports. These make it possible to fly directly to and from other areas of the Netherlands, such as Rotterdam or Groningen. This page touches on some pros and cons of flying from Schiphol, vs. from regional airports in NL.
Schiphol Airport is the largest Airport the Netherlands. It is likely, therefore, that flying to and/or from Schiphol will give you the most options in terms of flight times and destinations.
What is more, Schiphol is very well connected. Here is a list of where you can get to by train, from the airport, and how long it will take:
- Amsterdam is 15 minutes away
- Utrecht: 30 minutes
- The Hague: 30-45 minutes (depending on which train you catch)
- Rotterdam: 30-45 minutes (depending on which train you catch)
- Brussels: 2 hours
- Cologne: 3 hours
- Paris: 3 hours
Schiphol train station is located right underneath the airport Arrivals Hall. So, you can hop onto your public transport connection as soon as you have been through customs and collected your luggage.
About Schipol Airport
What is more, it is tough to get bored in Schiphol Airport! It is home to:
- A great deal of business
- A World Trade Center
- A number of hotels
- Over 560 companies that employ almost 60,000 people
- A booming duty-free shopping scene for you to enjoy
- 65 million passengers (per tear)
- Approximately 1.65 million tons of freight (per year)
These last two points are one of the reasons that it can, unfortunately, take a very long time to reach your gate at Schiphol airport. However, this is mainly due to the additional security measure that were implemented in the aftermath of September 11, 2001. Hence, travelers are advised to arrive three hours prior to their flight.
The lengthy process of getting to your gate at Schiphol airport is one of its major downsides. So, flying from one of the Netherlands’ many regional airports is good alternative. You can fly from:
These airports offer both direct flights to abroad locations, as well as internal flights to Schiphol airport. Here are a few more advantages of opting for a regional airport:
Regional Airport Pros
- If you do not live in Amsterdam or the Hague, they could well be closer to your home or office
- They are easily accessible by car, taxi or public transport
- Regional airport parking is usually inexpensive
- They are quicker and easier to navigate (especially compared to Schiphol!)
- Walking distances are short and check-in times are brief
- They often have special services for business travelers